Friday, March 20, 2009

another stretched star


Andy and I went to Nashville for a few days. Enjoyed the food and music, and had a little time to bind this second stretched star quilt in the style of Kathie, made with blocks I mistakenly had sewn to go the wrong way for the one I made in December.
I really like this quilt and may just have to keep it. Quilted with the squiggly lines on my Bernina.

I did a talk about quilting at a local older adults center. I go there with my nursing students in the fall. In November they were working on the spring calendar and asked if I had any topics to present. I decided against a health one and offered to show some of my quilts.
I had 7 attending--we sat around a table, studying and touching each quilt. I brought about 6 that I made and 6 old ones. I also brought an unquilted top so they could study the construction on the back.
I miss teaching quilting at the arts center--they closed last fall. I need to find another place to teach.

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love your stretched star!

antique quilter said...

oh yes I think you need to keep this one for yourself too!
great colors and LOVE the quilting I am going to have to try that!

think it is great that you shared your quilts with the seniors...quilts I am sure they all had some memories of them in their lives too.
Hope you find someplace else to teach.

Kathie

Anonymous said...

The star quilt is really nice. I may have to try that pattern. Quilts convey the feelings of warmth,comfort and care and who doesn't need that at any age. I think it's great you shared quilts with the seniors. I bet you are a wonderful teacher.

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Love the stretched star quilt...those homespuns just make it sing.

Anonymous said...

I really like the stretched star quilt and think you should let it live with you. I'm going to visit Nashville next month for the first time; can you suggest any good quilt shops in the area?

slimjohnson said...

Lynn: I read that you cut the blocks for the stretched star the wrong way for the other stretched star. Being left handed -- I understand. Steve