Tuesday, October 12, 2010

home made gifts

Judy over at Patchworktimes has asked for posts about home made gifts.
My sisters and I have been exchanging such for a while:
--Pin cushions made from a blanket my parents had been given as a wedding present 55 years previously.
--Recipe book of home and current recipies, printed over scanned old photographs in watermark mode.
--Pieces of my mother's Christmas cactus started in new pots.
--Enlarged and framed photographs of our grandparents at work with their chickens, pigs, and tractor.
--They get my hand knit dish cloths so they will think of me every day as they wipe up.
--I framed my parents' and grandparents' wedding invitations.

We also are great at giving consumables:
--I give my dad a big jug of real maple syrup every Christmas. It runs out in late October so the new one is a treat each year!
--Our neighbor gifts are a jar of good mustard or other condiment that will be enjoyed.
--Brothers-in-law get a case of a Chicago craft beer or rootbeer.
--A friend one year told me she'd make a cake for a potluck I was going to--a gift of time and talent.
--We give my mother-in-law a year's worth of hair appointments.
--For teachers, I give a sheet of Christmas stamps.

5 comments:

sophie said...

Although I know not everyone appreciates them, I think thoughtful handmade gifts are the best and I love giving and receiving them.

antique quilter said...

this post just warmed my heart.
a pin cushion from your parents blanket oh my that just gives me goosebumps!
hand knitted dish clothes I would love to see a few of those
please!
Kathie

Ruth said...

Great ideas! Both the handmade and consumables!

Rabid Quilter from California said...

What lovely ideas! So original and very appreciated, I'm sure.

jayayceeblog said...

Those are all such great ideas. Think I'll go knit some dishrags! =)