Monday, February 13, 2012

an extravagant welcome begins


Melissa Kane organized the wonderful quilt of little blocks of children for our guild's raffle about 5 years ago. She put the blocks (made by guild members) together, I put on the borders, and Sue DiVarco quilted it.
It needed a name so I decided to call it An Extravagant Welcome because of those outstretched arms.
It is a phrase the United Church of Christ uses in its materials, and I really wanted to win the quilt to hang in one of St Pauls' Sunday School rooms.
I have spent the last half decade pouting that I did not win this quilt.
(That shows how much I must listen in church.)
Yesterday I decided it was time to replicate the quilt and there are now 13 little children on my design wall.
If that pace keeps up, I could have them all made in a month.
I'll post directions and my progress over the next weeks.

10 comments:

I Quilt for Fun said...

I love this! Happy you are going to share the directions. Thanks. Jan

Anonymous said...

Ooooooohhhh!!! LOVE!!

Sharon

antique quilter said...

I just love this quilt. It just warms the heart. Makes me think of the children of the world and hope Thanks for tHe directions in advance this is one I would love to make with you ! Thanks kathie

regan said...

That is sweet design! Love it!

Jan said...

a wonderful quilt

Chris said...

Such fun to see that quilt again - I liked it too! And I'm glad to see it will live again!

Brenda said...

I like how you've set them side-by-side on your design wall, instead of having alternating blocks like in the raffle quilt. it seems more welcoming not to have spaces between the people.

WhiteStone said...

I wonder how many quilts are made because of losing a raffle. lol. I once made a Christmas quilt for that reason. Gave it to my daughter and then had to make another for my hubby. lol

Kristin said...

I saw this quilt on your blog years ago and fell in love with it too! At a quilt show, one vendor had a version of it hanging in their booth. I asked if they had the pattern for sale. They told me they couldn't sell the pattern, but would give it to me if I made a $5 to their charity. I think I have about 15-20 little ladies (there weren't men/boys in the pattern). I love making them and feel they each has their own identity. Thanks for sharing the raffle quilt and providing so much inspiration!!

Anonymous said...

Is there a pattern for these lovely children blocks?