Friday, June 24, 2016

basket medallion sew-a-long, center appliquéd block


After a spring of way too much travel (Andy to China and me to the Netherlands for work-more about that soon!) and family weddings in Connecticut and Iowa, and Seth's graduation from high school, I hope to have some serious sewing time before I start preparing for fall classes.

Lori over at Humble Quilts is doing another sew-a-long. It is a free formed medallion with a basket theme, inspired by Gwen Marston's style.

I free-cut some shapes with graph paper, then used Pellon middle weight 40 sew-in stabilizer to make faced shapes, cutting an X in the back and turning them right side out. I made some bias stems.
It is machine appliquéd with a straight stitch.

At this point it measures 18 1/2 inches. The next step theme is childhood--I'm thinking pinwheels!


You can see the other basket blocks at:
http://humblequilts.blogspot.com/2016/06/gwennie-inspired-medallion-qal.html

Humble Quilts

7 comments:

Alejesnat said...

Wow, do glad you're back, I was beginning to worry. :) Lovely block.

Kaja said...

Lovely block. Pinwheels sounds good too.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Nice block! Glad you are joining in with the medallion project. Your blog is new to me and I will look you up on blog lovin. Love the name of it! I too have a son who just graduated high school. Milestones... And my how time flies!

Louise SS said...

I so wanted to join that sew along! I managed to restrain myself thoug.... I must do some finishing, I must do som finishing..... but it is so much fun to start new projects!!!! I will enjoy watching everybody's progress though. You block is very nice and pinwheels sounds like a good choice!

Louise SS said...

Oops, I missed some letters, sorry about that! :)

Angie in SoCal said...

Love your free cut templates - make for a very "Gwennie" block. Love it.

Danice G said...

Very pretty basket block. Looking forward to seeing your childhood and log cabin rounds :)