Monday, July 18, 2016

flying geese

I had such fun making the flying geese shape for the pinwheel quilt I decided to keep with them and make a geese in flight block for the next in this series of solid figures on wild fabrics.
(I hope you aren't tired of seeing these, because I am not tired of making them.)
So far there have been ships, churn dashes, shooflys, pinwheels, and now the geese in flight.

This is an old block I've seen in antique quilts. It is a simple idea--sew 4 geese in a row, put a strip of fabric on two sides, and then you have a square block to play with. I have a few blocks done and will see if I end up with the geese in a predictable pattern or all over the place.

Block finishes 8 inches
All cut from 2 1/2 inch strips
Solid: 4 geese cut with Companion Angle ruler
Print: 8 half square triangles cut with EZ angle and 2 rectangles cut 8 1/2 inches

3 comments:

mereth said...

I made one of these quilts about three years ago and had so much fun I started another. I haven't sewn on it for a while, but I really do like this block!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Sharon

Louise said...

I've really been enjoying your solids on wild backgrounds series. Very inspiring. I'm especially pleased to see how much happiness they seem to bring you!